Wednesday, June 9, 2010

My Nephew is Famous

Leon usually sits shotgun. He’s a balding attorney in his late 50s. He’s the sage veteran of The Vanpool and is quick to dispel wise commentary.

He speaks with Charlie throughout the ride. He punctuates every sentence by repeating Charlie’s name.

“You know, I knew when Peterson was named to the Planning Board, that there were going to be some problems, Charlie.”

“I really like Villanova’s chances in the tournament. They’ve got really great guard depth, Charlie.”

“The Investor’s Business Daily… it paints the picture a whole lot better than the Times, Charlie.”

At the end of the ride, I move up a few seats to get out easier. I sit behind Leon and Charlie.

“It doesn’t look like John’s going to get the role, Charlie,” Leon says. “He’s just such a nice guy, and Captain America’s supposed to be a bad-ass.”

My mind is spinning.

“I’m sorry to interrupt, but I was just wondering what you’re talking about?”

“My nephew John’s an actor. He’s up for the part of Captain America but it doesn’t look like he’s going to get it.”

I flinch.

“Your nephew’s John Krazinski from The Office?”

“Oh, you know him?”

“Yeah,” I say. “The Office is my favorite show of all-time. He’s the only man alive my wife would leave me for.”

He laughs.

“I’ll tell him you said that.”
***

It later hits me that I could use this connection to try and get John Krazinski to take part in Vanpool: The TV Series. I think it could be in the episode where the Vanpool travels through the Tunnel and emerges in the era where the Dutch are about to sell Manhattan to the Brits. John will play Captain Holland and will attempt to prevent the deal from happening, which will allow Holland to take its rightful place as the most powerful empire in the history of the world. This means that tulips, wooden shoes and lax drug laws are a lot more popular in our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment