Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Jennifer: The Life of a Temp Worker

Jennifer’s a temp worker, which means she’s only a semi-regular on The Vanpool.

Yesterday, she told us about her new assignment, working in a small Manhattan real estate office. Someone asks her how it went.

“It was horrible,” she says. “It was awful. As soon as I got in there, the receptionist started laughing. She pulled me aside and told me that today would be one of the worst days of my life.”

“The office was just this guy and his wife. He was this fat old man and his wife was like 25 years younger than him. He kept on screaming in her face all day and calling her an idiot and a moron. Then she kept on apologizing for being so dumb.”

I start laughing at Jennifer’s misery. She at least has a sense of humor about her life.

“That wasn’t even the worst job I’ve ever had.”

“I was temping in the Accounts Payable department at this hospital once. The guy in charge of the office was so old and walked around with a breathing tank. As soon as I came in, the first thing he said was, ‘Why, aren’t you a pretty thing in that skirt.’”

“I thought he was funny at first but it wouldn’t stop. All day long, he kept on talking about how much he loved my legs.”

“I was making photocopies in the copy room and he pretty much trapped me and tried to squeeze my breasts. I walked past him. But I was thinking of saying to him, ‘Don’t you know you’re in your 80s and I could kill you by pulling out your breathing tube?”

No comments:

Post a Comment